Jabuk
Kako v Mac Proja spraviti za 5TB trdega diska....
Jablanator

Jablanator

Kraj: Velenje
Ni navedeno

Poglej uporabnikov profil
Prispevek: #1   Objavljeno 08.10.2006 10:14:53
Kako v Mac Proja spraviti za 5TB trdega diska....
Odgovori s citatom Dodaj uporabnika na seznam ignoriranih
...nič lažjega.

Citiram:
For the support, I've only used four metal brackets you use to install 3.5'' hard disks in a space dedicated for a 5.25'' CD drive. Here's what they look like:

I got them for free from CIPC informatique in Montreal (probably because I purchased two 750GB drives!), but I've seen them being sold as separate parts by Microbytes for $5 the pair.
I had to make holes with an electric frill for the disk in the middle, and as there are only two Molex PATA power plugs in that place, I used an Y-shaped 1PATA->2SATA adapter ($7).

The fan only cost me $25. It is a Silenx Ixtrema 80mm Pro Series and is reputedly a very quiet one although I'm not really a fan expert (but you might be able to judge by yourself with those characteristics: 14dBA and 24CFM). I fitted the fan with its rubber feet and slid it in the space available between the brackets the lateral side of the hard disks. It is tight enough so there is no need to screw it or stick it, and the rubber feet actually absorb all the vibrations.

I should add that the reason I bought this fan is not its quietness, but rather the fact that it has an IN/OUT Molex plug, so no need for any other power connector. It is indeed very quiet, but given the natural quietness of the MacPro, it is still slightly more noisy than the other fans if he computer is not under heavy workload.

So I got two SATA cables and one PATA (with two connectors) for the data. I also have two Molex PATA connectors for powering. The one at the end of the cable goes into the PATA disk and the middle one in the fan's Molex plug, which itself is plugged through the Y-shaped PATA to the two SATA cables used to power the SATA disks.

The only tricky part is to find a place for the cables! After a few attempts, I realized that the best compromise between an undisturbed airflow and easily packed cables is to put the disks aside in the MacPro, which quite differs from the DVD-Drive's original position. Thus I installed the PATA disk above the other two so I could cram the extra length of the PATA cable above (where there is some empty space).

A few minutes after starting the MacPro, I quickly noticed that the array of disks was surprisingly cool - like "not hot" I mean. The temperature in my room was 23.6 Celsius, and the one between the middle disk and the bottom disk... 30.6 Celsius (at least that was the result given by the internal temperature probe). All right I wasn't rendering HD video or the like, just a zero all data format of the middle disk. Since then, I've moved the probe inbetween the two top disks and there the temperature rose to 32 Celsius.

The screws I removed...

More pictures...

And the Superdrive ? Well, on a machine dedicated to production its only use is the occasional software installation. J.F. has therefore put it in an external enclosure.

Embarassed
Stevie Jobs

Stevie Jobs

Kraj: Lendava
Moški

Poglej uporabnikov profil
Prispevek: #2   Objavljeno 14.10.2006 10:37:59
Odgovori s citatom Dodaj uporabnika na seznam ignoriranih
HUDOOO!!! Surprised
Ne moreš dodajati novih tem
Ne moreš odgovarjati na teme
Ne moreš urejati svojih prispevkov
Ne moreš brisati svojih prispevkov
Ne moreš glasovati v anketi
Pokaži sporočila:
Pojdi na:
Jabuk.si Vsa vsebina spletne strani je last Jabuk.si in njegovih članov. © 2004 - 2020 Jabuk.si Kontakt Kontakt   Domov Domov   Na vrh strani Na vrh strani